Foto: Miltom Guran, 1978

Kamaiurá

  • Other names
    Kamayurá
  • Where they are How many

    MT604 (Siasi/Sesai, 2014)
  • Linguistic family
    Tupi-Guarani

Location and population

kamaiura_3

The Kamaiurá have never withdrawn from their area of occupation, in the region of the junction of the Kuluene and Kuliseu rivers, near the great lake of Ipavu, which means, in the language of these people, “big water”. Presently, the village of the Kamaiurá is located about ten kilometers to the north of the Leonardo Villas-Bôas Post, approximately 500 meters from the south bank of Lake Ipavu and six kilometers from the Kuluene River, to its right. What constitutes the immediate Kamaiurá territory are the village, formed by the houses and cerimonial plaza, the neighboring forest, Lake Ipavu and the streams that flow into it.

Their population in 2002 totalled 355 individuals, demonstrating a significant demographic growth in relation to the beginning of the 1970s, when there were 131. In 1954, when there was a serious measles epidemic in the region, their population was reduced to 94, in contrast with the year 1938, when their population was around 240, and the period in which they were visited by Von den Stein, in 1887, when they totalled 264 people.